Episode 18: Cinematographer Jimmy Matlosz
With this episode, there’s a bit of a change to the structure and purpose of G33K Out. My new goal is to have this podcast come out monthly (roughly around the 15th of every month), and for each episode now to last around 30 minutes, give or take.
I also want to branch out from my red carpet interviews. Don’t worry: the podcast will still have those when I get them – after all, I know hearing the words from the actual celebrity rather than reading them is preferred. However, the original purpose of the post was to be along the same lines as my master’s thesis: to talk to various people about things they geek out about. have a few interviews in my ‘to be edited’ pile that were originally geared toward my thesis that this came out of but I never got around to editing. I plan on interviewing people from all areas of life, although most will still land in the arts and entertainment worlds as those are my primary interests.
With that in mind, last September, I covered an agent’s roundtable event for Camera Angles. The event was part of the Emerging Cinematographer Awards, a way to bring advice for how to make it in the film industry to the award winners. The chair of the awards is cinematographer Jimmy Matlosz, and he gave the up and coming honorees some great advice during the event.
I sat down with Jimmy at his home to discuss what exactly a cinematographer does, his work process, and his latest project. Head’s up – the sound’s a bit soft on this one. I’m working on it.
Basic show notes:
- Running time is 29 minutes, 15 seconds.
- The main interview was recorded on December 6, 2016.
- You can see a trailer from Jimmy’s short that he talks about, as well as his other work, over on his Vimeo page.
- Mid-show plug is from Jessie Salsbury, a playwright friend of mine and a recent sponsor of the website.
- Theme music is “Schoolyard Haze”, by Jari Pitkanen, available via the Free Music Archive.
- This podcast is released under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike license.
- Interested in hearing other episodes of G33K Out? Check them out here.
And now, time to geek out.