So, ever since I made the decision to go after my master’s degree in LA, there have been several pieces of news that have made me suspect the city is sentient, and trying to keep me here.
- Google Fiber is coming to Olathe. You know, where I currently live. Finally, really awesome internet connection – and I won’t be here to enjoy it.
- Judge Reinhold is going to be in a production at the New Theatre Restaurant. This man was my first celebrity crush – where I actually followed his career, and researched what he had been in (back when you had to go to the library to do this kind of research). With my KC Stage connections in Kansas City, there’d be a chance I’d actually be able to possibly interview the man – and say, “Hey: I watched Pandemonium AND Vice Versa for you.”
- Wicked and War Horse as part of the Broadway League’s touring shows – both happening AFTER I leave. I was able to catch Wicked in St. Louis a number of years ago, and IMMEDIATELY wanted to see it again, and have not had the chance yet. War Horse I want to see as a theatre production because of THIS little TED talk.
- A few months ago, City Theatre of Independence contacted me, wondering if I’d be interested in interviewing to direct their production of Crimes of the Heart. As I mentioned when we covered female playwrights on the very first Stage Savvy podcast, Crimes of the Heart is one of those plays I really connect to and can understand, and I would love to direct one day as a result. I had a good five minutes of imagining what I’d do as a director, already thinking of who I’d ask to audition, before I had to regretfully turn the opportunity down.
- Two people I know let me know off the record that they are interested in selling their house, and they’d be open to discussing payment plans if Rich and I were interested.
- An IKEA store coming to Kansas City. Not a huge fan of IKEA per se, but this just cracks me up.
- Along those lines, Twinkies are coming back. Now, that’s connected to Kansas City because there’s a Hostess factory (with general store) only a few miles from my apartment complex.
Rich and I joke that the only thing missing is free puppies and $100 bill day down at the local all-you-can-eat crab buffet that’s $2 a plate. 😉